Sunday, April 19, 2015

Christ Preached on the Sabbaths. Paul Preaches to Gentiles. Hurrying to Be at Jerusalem for Pentecost. Update.

 

For "Scripture Sunday":

Christ Preached on the Sabbaths

Mark 1:21

Then they went into Capernaum, and immediately on the Sabbath He entered the synagogue and taught.

"In the parallel passage in the Gospel of Luke, Luke records that Jesus Christ “was teaching them on the Sabbaths” (Luke 4:31). Earlier, Luke recorded that in Nazareth, “as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read” (Luke 4:16).

Jesus Christ’s custom and practice was to remember the Sabbath and to teach people on that day."

_______

Paul Preaches to Gentiles on the Sabbath

Acts 13:42-44

image "So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath. Now when the congregation had broken up, many of the Jews and devout proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas, who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God. On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God.

Many believe that the apostle Paul taught that those who were not Israelites do not have to observe the Sabbath commandment. But the Bible consistently shows that Paul taught both Jews and gentiles (non-Israelites) on God’s Sabbath. Here is how one of our articles addresses this passage:

“When gentiles in Antioch wanted to hear God’s Word preached to them, Paul had them come the next Sabbath ... (Acts 13:42-44). Had Sabbath-keeping no longer been God’s expectation of gentiles, Paul could have simply told them that he would preach to them the next day rather than the next Sabbath.” From: http://lifehopeandtruth.com/bible/blog/paul-preaches-to-gentiles-on-the-sabbath/

For more on this, see “Did Paul Change the Sabbath Command?

_______

Paul’s Sabbath Custom

Acts 17:2

Then Paul, as his custom was, went in to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures.

"As we saw in Acts 13:42-44, the apostle Paul consistently preached on the seventh-day Sabbath, even to the gentiles. In Thessalonica, Paul continued this custom, preaching on three Sabbath days and teaching why Jesus Christ had to suffer and die. The Bible shows Christ died for our sins—because we have broken God’s commandments (1 John 3:4-5; 5:3). This includes the Fourth Commandment about remembering to keep God’s seventh-day Sabbath holy.

Many think that the Sabbath was changed. Find out what the Bible says in our article “Was the Sabbath Changed to Sunday?”"

_______

Hurrying to Be at Jerusalem for Pentecost

Acts 20:16

For Paul had decided to sail past Ephesus, so that he would not have to spend time in Asia; for he was hurrying to be at Jerusalem, if possible, on the Day of Pentecost.

"The apostle Paul planned his travel around God’s annual festivals. He spent the Passover and Days of Unleavened Bread that year in Philippi (Acts 20:6). Because of a plot on his life, he traveled overland instead of by sea (verse 3). But verse 16 shows that he was still determined to get back to Jerusalem in time for the Feast of Pentecost.

For more about Pentecost, see “Pentecost: God Gives the Holy Spirit” and “The Sermon That Launched the Church.”"

_______

Update:

It doesn't seem like it has been a week since the last post. 

On Tuesday, Jay and I went into Conroe to do some shopping, and dropped some things off at a consignment place.  They take clothes, furniture, books, whatever, so this might help me empty out this house.

We bought his mother a new toilet riser at a thrift shop, and it really helped her to get up off the toilet and back to her walker.  She just didn't have the upper arm strength to get up.  But the riser helped that.

On Wednesday, I bathed BabyGirl, my black lab foster dog, and then Chris came by to see if BabyGirl would like to ride to Magnolia with her. Chris is a foster mom neighbor who has horses and she was buying something to do with coconuts for her horses from a feed store in Magnolia, TX.  BabyGirl loves to ride.  She doesn't even look out of the windows, but just curls up, as happy as can be, in any vehicle.

Then later on Wednesday, a couple came from Houston to buy my Aerostar van.  I didn't like to see that reliable old van go, but I can't keep them all.

On Thursday, Jay and I took BabyGirl, my foster dog, and Phoebe, my new 17 year old foster cat, to the vet.  BabyGirl had her ears packed, as one still has an infection in it.  Phoebe was there for a blood and urine test.

Unfortunately, the vet tech didn't stick to the rules and she did the blood test first.  That made Phoebe pee on the table, and that wasn't the kind of pee that they needed.  It had to be a really clean specimen from a catheter, so Phoebe had to stay there until the afternoon.  Jay and I hung around town and looked in some thrift shops but didn't really want to stay in town with BabyGirl until Phoebe was ready, so we came home.  Another fortunate thing, Chris was in Conroe in the afternoon so she picked up Phoebe and brought her home.

The Dodge van started acting up bucking and missing so we couldn't wait to get it home.  I stopped at a Dollar General, ran in and bought some injector cleaner and put it in the tank.  The van immediately started running better, so I might have got some bad gas.  The gas gauge isn't that reliable.  It shows it's full, then a bell goes off and it drops to Empty.  So I buy $10 gas. The next time it's started up, it says it has a near full tank again.   So, today, I filled it up until it was literally overflowing, and it only took 7 gallons.  I set the trip, and we will see what it does now.  The van sat a long time before I bought it, so it is going to have to get used to being driven again.

The vet tests showed that Phoebe has kidney problems, another victim of a life of dry cat food.  When will people learn.  Now she will have to be on a prescription diet for the rest of her life. 

Jay had been feeding his disabled mother those frozen lasagnas and French bread pizzas, no wonder she is sick.  I steamed some celery, onion and carrots, fried some red cabbage and red onions in coconut oil, cooked some quinoa and took it to her.  She liked it and said that it made her feel better.

Ray, who rents my guest house, has been gone all week, so I have been taking care of his cats, as well as my own critters.  Buddy, his little boy cat is scheduled to have his 'boy' surgery next week, so I put him in my grooming room.  He was missing for a couple of days last week, and I need to keep tabs on him.  So now, I am getting him ready for his surgery.  He has already had his first and second shots, he has had Revolution applied to his neck to be free of fleas, mites, etc., and now three days of de-worming.  He loves being indoors and just cozies up to me and purrs when I go in the grooming room.  Buddy hasn't been checked out by a vet yet, so he can't be around my other two foster cats.  He will be confined after his surgery for a few days, so he might as well get used to being in my grooming room, sometimes in a cage, which he doesn't mind.

Saturday was Adoption Day, so two of my fosters were picked up by Chris to spend the afternoon at Conroe Petco, while I was at church.  Some possible adopters were going to come and 'interview' my cat Nala, and another cat.   As they were already approved they could take her that day.  So I packed up her refrigerated food in a dry ice bag, packed a laser light, some of her toys and printed out her care instructions.  I knew that I would miss her terribly, especially last thing at night when we play with that laser light.  But when Chris brought my fosters back, the people hadn't even shown up.  All that for naught.

I went to church early, as the pastor's wife was staying in ICU with her sick older sister.  She called and asked me to warm up her food for the potluck that the pastor was bringing.  The dishes that the other members bring, they stick in the oven, or fridge when they get there.  I usually take mine in a little crockpot or two so that she doesn't have to fool with my food. 1963 was the last time I used an electric stove, so I was a little out of my comfort zone.

The Bible readings were Psa. 105, 107, Lev. 9:1-11:47,. 2 Sam 6:1-7:17 and Mark 7:1-23.  We had our usual song service, thanks and praise reports, and praying for those in need.  I wanted to do what the pastor's wife does.  She goes into the dining hall kitchen and listens to the Teaching over the speaker while she warms up the food.  But two well meaning gentlemen members came to help me and they were talking, so I couldn't hear the Teaching.  Pastor Bobbie talks so very quietly anyway.

We all had a good meal and fellowship, but it wasn't the same without Ms. Eunice.  After we had all eaten, I gathered up the utensils, pots and pans, and washed them.  It was a busy day.

No comments: